2006 P “Reverse Proof” Silver Eagle
Sometimes one can see a “profitable performer” coming a mile away. Other times it’s not until time has passed and history has put the pieces of the puzzle together to reveal a truly remarkable coin, made so by circumstances not obvious when the coin was produced. Most would consider The 2006 Reverse Proof Silver Eagle to fall into the former camp – destined to be a profitable performer from the get go . . .
2006 Silver Eagle Set
As part of the 20th Anniversary of the introduction of the Silver Eagle coin, The US Mint offered a three-coin Silver Eagle 20th Anniversary Set. The set offered a burnished uncirculated Silver Eagle, a proof Silver Eagle, and for the first time in US History, a Reverse Proof Silver Eagle. The original price of the three-coin set was $100. Individually, in 2006, the uncirculated Silver Eagle coin was selling for $10 and the Silver Eagle proof $35 – therefore the reverse proof was valued at $55.
The Silver Eagle Reverse Proof was dramatic indeed and the stage was set for price performance:
- The reverse proof Eagle production was limited to 250,000;
- It was the first reverse proof ever offered by the US Mint;
- It was absolutely stunning;
- The Silver Eagle was (and is) one of the most beloved coins ever offered by the Mint;
- Unlike rare coins from the distant past, there was no question as to the number outstanding – meaning a hoard won’t suddenly appear on the market driving down the price; and finally
- It was an anniversary coin, which in and of itself is special.
Value of the 2006 P Reverse Proof Silver Eagle
Not surprisingly the value of the 2006 P “Reverse Proof” Silver Eagle has consistently gone up: from $55 in 2006 to $300 today (as measured by the 2014 Red Book (Assumes PF-68 quality)). With an average return on investment of 23.6% per year, this coin has performed very well. The best part is that the 2006 Reverse Proof has consistently performed, no bad years in the past, regardless of the price of silver or what was happening in the stock market.
Its not surprising that the 2006 Reverse Proof Silver Eagle is the coin we’re leading off with in the profitable performer series.
Price 2006: $55
Price 2014 Red Book: $300
Return in investment: 23.6% per year